Start from our first warning if you haven’t already been there.
CONTENT WARNINGS (may “spoil”):
the film contains:
- blends of accurate info and blatant misrepresentation of Dissociative Identity Disorder
- in other words, all kinds of stereotypes blended with facts from our own communities
- e.g. fact: frequent struggle to be believed that one is several people. fiction: that controversy leading to grotesque violence
- representations of DID patients engaging in immoral and violent acts
- graphic and shock-factor violence
- depictions of child trauma survivors
- depictions of being trapped, fleeing, doomed
- several assaults
- knife and gun violence
- repeated harm towards young women and girls
- child sexual abuse (perpetrated by a non-DID perpetrator)
- portrayal of that system (ie collection of people living in one body) covering up what they are doing to their therapist
- credibility challenges and endangerment of therapist for working with DID patients
- appropriation of narratives around survivors being stronger because of trauma
- arguably sexist script
- script sets up for transphobic reactions from audience when transfeminine character appears – the only audible “ew” we heard in a movie filled with all kinds of shock and violence.
- the director explicitly said the film was inspired by The Silence of the Lambs
- audiences and critics may say all kinds of uncomfortable remarks about these different experiences
plot description and extreme content warning. includes spoilers.